Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday 7 February 2010

Superbird Sunday

I am starting to think that our friend Flicker realizes that when he visits our feeders, there is a group of admirers gathered on the other side of the window watching his every move. When he arrives he sits for quite a spell, just gazing around the yard...perhaps allowing me time to fetch my camera. There was a fair breeze and the feeder on which he was perched kept spinning around. Here you can see his feathers are a bit ruffled.
A close-up of his front show his perfect colouration. I think he is such a beauty.
The black lines on his face indicate this fellow is a male - a moustache, if you will. The female has all the same markings but this one.
In the next two shots, you can see the yellow underneath his tail feathers. Someone told us that a common name for a Northern Flicker is "Yellow Hammer". When he spreads his wings to fly, it is yellow you see. What a perfect patchwork of colours and patterns he is.
I hope to catch him in flight some day; so far he has been too quick for me.
Look how well camouflaged he is in the trees, even with the red stripe on his head.

4 comments:

  1. The flicker is beautiful, I never realized they had such defined circles on them. The yellow when they fly is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is beautiful!!! I haven't had many birds at my feeder this winter so I'm envious! My brother next door has a number of feeders so I think they are all hanging out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's beautiful! Makes you want to paint him or make a quilt of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ,the bird is beautiful!
    Bear regards,

    Beertje Zonn

    ReplyDelete