Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday 4 March 2010

Dark Beauties

Gail over at Quilt, Knit, Run, Sew is working on my Maritime Beauty pattern in gorgeous batiks. She has chosen a black background for under the spikes and I dug out the above picture as a bit of inspiration. While looking through the picture files, I found several other "Beauties" pieced on dark backgrounds and decided I would post a few of these also. This one is done mostly on purples and uses a variety of New York Beauty blocks.
Here's a section of one using the same block as in Maritime Beauty. "Calliope" made use of lots of scraps; the only thing kept constant was the same background colour carried through each spike section:
Here's the whole quilt; you can see where that black block fits at the bottom right. "Calliope" was a lot of fun to make and is equally fun to display. If you have the Maritime Beauty pattern, you can easily turn it into one like this.
Today is a snowstorm here in Cumberland County, N.S. and all schools are closed. I am working away on the project from my previous post. The 136, 1-1/2" HST's are pieced and in the process of being joined into rows. I used the same method for making these HST's as in the Meadow Song quilt so they stitched up quickly. With luck (and no interruptions!) I should be ready to start adding the border tomorrow.
Skip over to Gail's blog and check out her progress. Make sure you tell her that Karen sent you :)

3 comments:

  1. Many thanks for posting these. They are definitely inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to start another Beauty. Your Calliope is such a delight! Now on to see what Gail has been doing. Lucy

    ReplyDelete