Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday 29 January 2022

Storm Sewing 2022

 

There's a snow storm outside, and I am sewing up a storm inside!  I always like to have a simple sewing project for storms, as our power often goes out.  String blocks are perfect, as they are easy to pick up again if you are interrupted.  I had a few sample blocks leftover from a class I gave at the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival a couple of years back, so decided I would add some more to the pile.  I dug around the bottom of my Christmas prints to find some usable scraps.


These blocks are rectangles, and a bit of an odd size: 6-1/2" x 11-1/2".  The dimensions were determined by the size of the newsprint being used for the foundation and really...what does it matter what size each block is, as long as it makes a good sized quilt.? I drew lines across each paper in a random way (no specific angle) alternating left and right in each foundation.  This way when they set together in pairs, an imperfect chevron stripe will be created.

The strips are also cut at random widths from 1/2" to 2-1/2".  Since I am sewing scraps, the length of each strip is determined by the size of the piece dug out of the box. The first strip is laid beside the drawn line with the ends extending off the paper a bit, and held with a pin; a second strip added right sides together on top. Then the strip is flipped down to the right side and pressed. 
When the paper is covered, simply trim the edges along the paper.

It's a quick and easy way to use up bits and bobs, and I love the scrappy look of the string blocks when they are finished.

Back to sewing.  It's a race to see how many I get made while it snows!











6 comments:

  1. I think that snow is widespread, and you might be doing string blocks for some time. Love all the bright colours, and a super way to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blocks look great. A fun way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun project, for sure......you need a treadle machine, Karen! Or perhaps a hand-cranked machine......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe and warm. Spring will arrive before we realize it! Your string quilt project looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrrrr....stay warm. I should try some string blocks. They look great.

    ReplyDelete