Christmas gifting is as much about the present-ation as it is the present, and with this quick and easy scrap-busting project, you get both. Who doesn't need a mug rug, especially when they come as sweetly packaged as these?! You can turn your mug rugs into lollipops...
- 2 strips each of 3 colours, each 2" x WOF (a total of 6, 2" strips.) A light, medium, and a dark work well. (If you don't have WOF strips, just seam together enough shorter pieces to measure around 42". The joins don't show in the finished project.)
- neutral 50 weight sewing thread (Aurifil of course!) 2600 Dove Grey is perfect.
- if stitching by machine, a size 16/100 JEANS needle.
- 1 piece of clear cellophane 16" x 18".
- 1 large safety pin.
- 1 small clip (a clothespin works).
- scrap of fabric for ties (or pretty satin ribbon). 20" per tie is a good length.
(The reason you don't join the strips together at the beginning is because it makes it slow and awkward, as the ends get all tangled together as you braid. Using one strip of each colour at a time and joining as needed is actually quicker in the long run.)