Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday 18 November 2010

Rosy Socks and Circles

Last evening I grafted the toe on a pair of socks destined to be a Christmas gift. I am really pleased to have these finished and hope to have time to make one more pair before The Big Day. They are photographed here on wool batting, which I have spread out to relax. Doesn't it look soft? With any luck, the batting will get used up in a day or so.
The quilt I am working on with Benartex fabrics is progressing slowly but surely. The blocks are all pieced and joined, and now I've decided a little bit of appliqué is required to add detail to the patchwork. This "little bit of appliqué" involves making 192 circles. I am using Eleanor Burns' method of facing the fabric with interfacing, and cutting a slit in the back to turn. Using the needle-down position on the Bernina in combination with the knee-lift is making the stitching of these circles extra quick. Only 92 more to go...

4 comments:

  1. Your socks turned out great! I am too embarrased to show mine. That is a really neat way to make your circles. I will have to keep this in mind! Let us know how you like the wool batting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I just love this wool batting! It's "Legacy" be Pellon and it quilts like butter, plus it has a nice loft so the quilting shows well. I've ditched cotton batting completely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the socks. I am not fond of "On Your Toes" yarn because I always find several knots in the skein. I'm curious: did you have that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color of your socks although I have never heard of On Your Toes yarn. Also can't wait to see your latest quilt. Your suggestion for making the circles is a great idea. Sounds like you are really enjoying your new Bernina. Lucy

    ReplyDelete