Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday 21 April 2010

Quilting Legacy

I have been trying out the new 100% wool Legacy Batting from Pellon. The previous battings in the Legacy line are a wool/cotton blend; because of a recent allergic reaction to cotton batting I was very keen to find one which was pure wool. This batting is lovely. It is very soft and a uniform thickness all over.
I decided to stitch a miniature whole cloth, quilting some parts heavily and leaving some puffy. As with all wool batts, it gives beautiful loft when quilting, even on this small sample.Here's the back. White-on-white never photographs well...

The label said "no shrinkage" but it's always good to test these things out. I plopped it in the sink and swished several times in warm water to remove the marks, blotted it on a towel, and laid it flat to dry. It measured 8-1/4" x 11-1/4"before washing...
and the exact same this morning.
This is the batting I used in both New York Beautys which I quilted earlier this week, and the basting pins went in so easily. I give it two thumbs up (I'd give it ten, but then you'd know I am all thumbs...)
As this batting is from Pellon, it will be widely available in stores - everyone carries Pellon. It's my new favouite.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up. I found Legacy online at Hancock's and have ordered some!
    Deb in FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting looks fantastic.
    Wool batting is my favorite!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that wool batting would be the choice because of a cotton allergy; it's usually the other way around. The first time we had our sheep shorn I had the fleeces cleaned and made into batts at a nearby woolen mill. However, my husband is sensitive to wool, as are many people, so I only made up one tied quilt with these batts and went with synthetic fibre duvets for our B&B guest beds. And the wool batts were too uneven in thickness to be used for anything other than tied comforters. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Karen I want to move to Amherst so you can teach me to machine quilt. A B S O L U T E L Y
    gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting about this. I know that if I saw 100% wool, I would have not even given it a second look. I'll keep my eye out for it. Your little wholecloth piece is sweet.

    ReplyDelete