Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday 17 June 2017

Playing With a Prototype

I've been working on a new pattern and decided I was ready to sew a first draft.  When designing a patchwork project, it is imperative that all the pieces fit precisely; the math has to work, as does the piecing that tests this math.  Normally I design on the computer, but this piece has an odd-shaped background that was easier to draw with paper and pencil.  
Once sewn, every individual patch is measured to ensure that the seam allowance is a perfect 1/4". You'd never do this on your own quilt, but the pattern has to be bang on. Because this is just a draft, I didn't want to spend a lot of time on the "how will I quilt this" question, instead opting to use a stencil I picked up this winter at Mrs Pugsley's. It pretty much fit the space without adjustment.  Isn't it elegant?
With black fabric, it is super simple to transfer the design using a chalk pounce.  Simply lay the stencil on the fabric and slide the pounce over it.
The chalk lines are very visible for quilting.
The lines come right off afterwards;  the package says to use a hot iron, which has worked well for me in the past, but I just brushed them off this time. The batting is a scrap of polyester needlepunch and I didn't think a hot iron would do it any favours. The quilting isn't perfect - "quickly done" was my aim - but even so it's passable, I think.


I stitched the binding on last evening.  When all was said and done, my calculations were out 1/8", which is an easy fix.  The adjustments have now been made to the pattern, and I feel confident that I am ready to start cutting my good fabric.  I may even use this stencil again.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to se what you're up to now, Karen. Looks like a grand piano... Think I see piano keys....? Whatever it is, it will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great stencil, and the black against the other fabric??? Do we have to wait and see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting stencil! I spy with my little eye a......piano?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS a beautiful stencil! I can't wait for this pattern reveal, Karen! I think it's going to be awfully pretty! I've avoided sewing with black of late because it's so difficult to see. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like seeing your process. I've never tried a pounce. Looks like it works really well. I'll have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete