Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday 9 August 2013

Dorothy Perkins Rose

I can't show you what I am sewing...but I can show you what I am growing.  Friend and quilt appraiser Diane Shink dropped by last week and sent this picture which she took of our rosebush. She suggested I share it here on the blog.
These are Dorothy Perkins roses, a gift from my father-in-law for our new home we built when we moved to Amherst in the 90's.  Malcolm Neary was a biology professor at the Agricultural College (now part of Dalhousie University) for over 40 years, provincial entomologist, and in possession of a very green thumb.  I can't take any credit for these beautiful roses, they are all his doing.  I will add a few pictures of my own to Diane's:

You can read more about this rose on Wikipedia.  It's a beauty for sure.


7 comments:

  1. Karen, those are incredible - I can smell them from here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy Perkins roses have no scent, they are pretty but lack any perfume.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! Sure puts my pitiful little rose bush to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and she was so right! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's beautiful........what a gorgeous bush!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of these that has been in my family and moved from home to home for over 80+ years. You can move it, dig it up, transplant and it will come back full splendor. I find a piece of it here and there all over my garden as I have moved it three times in 15 years into different spots to get better blooms.

    ReplyDelete