Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday 8 August 2013

Blueberry Grunt

Carol asked about my reference to Blueberry Grunt yesterday.  Grunt is an old Maritime favourite, and absolutely delicious.  Basically, it's dumplings cooked in blueberry sauce.  There's all kinds of recipes around, this one from the Taste of Nova Scotia cookbook is a good example.  In my house, there would be no cinnamon added - only nutmeg.  As in making other dumplings, it's key not to remove the lid while the dumplings are steaming, otherwise they come out doughy.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmm! Haven't had Grunt for ages.... I usually make Pie or Crisp...I feel a Grunt coming on...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the explanation Karen, they look delicious. I will be trying the recipe out this weekend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too!! Love grunt. I made blackberry grunt last year. I bought really nice desert dishes, and served it to company!! They were so nice. I must try with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned how to make a similar dish in 4H many years ago. It is called Blueberry Buckle, but it is baked in the oven so the top is more like a tea biscuit (which is pretty much what a dumpling is if you bake it instead of steaming it!)
    I don't make it often because we enjoy our blueberries fresh (with maybe a bit of cream).

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! That is the perfect idea to use some of my blueberries! (high bush though, not the lovely wilds that you used) I haven't had a grunt in ages, probably since I left the Maritimes!

    ReplyDelete