Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 13 August 2013

6 Of 1, 1/2 A Dozen Of Another

Or in this case, 16 of each.
Yesterday I sewed these 32 foundation sections for the project I am working on (the top ones are not trimmed as yet).  This is not normally the way I work, preferring to sew a single block at a time.  Logically, doing them the Henry Ford method (i.e. assembly line) made perfect sense as I was less likely to mix up colours. Additionally, I did not have to change to a sharper needle when adding the template sections of the block, and then back again when doing the next foundation. Surely this saved me some time. The day dragged however, and I missed being able to look over and see my pretty finished blocks, encouraging me to make more.  It does put me in a good place to start today as I expect to have the 32 blocks finished well before noon but it was a stretch to sew these yesterday.  Which way do you work?

5 comments:

  1. It depends on the project, but I must admit to being a fan of the assembly line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I like assembly line too, but then I have to complete a few to gaze at to spur me on.. just like you, it seems!!
    I'll wave at you tomorrow as Laura and I head to the 'Nish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I did my Maritime Beauty, I did all the foundation piecing at once, to keep up the momentum (and so I didn't forget what I was doing, and sew on the wrong side.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on the project for me too. Most times, if I am chain-piecing, I work on 8 - 10 blocks at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to do assembly line for awhile, but then I get bored and want to see something come together!

    ReplyDelete