Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday 1 December 2019

December: Endings/Beginnings

Unbelievably, December is...here. Although this is always a month of excitement with much to look forward to, it's also a month of endings. It ends a very busy and stressful 2019.  For youngest son, it is the end of his first term at school. For my business, it's year end...and the monotonous taking of inventory. It's also - sadly- the end of my tenure as Ambassador for Island Batik, as I am resigning effective the end of December.  It was not an easy decision to make.  Being part of the Ambassador team at Island Batik has been a unique experience, unlike anything I've done before in my many years of quilting, and I have enjoyed it immensely.  Not only do they produce the finest batiks on the market, Island Batik is a wonderful, generous company who give back. The talent among the Ambassadors is amazing, and it's an honour to be included in their ranks.  I will miss the camaraderie, the encouragement, and the ever-present support that comes from being part of a team.  I do hope to continue on with them in a design role, submitting proposals from time to time for their new collections.  And, of course, I have a ton of Island Batik in my stash just waiting to be sewn!
The theme for the final challenge this year is to make something 3-D, either texturally or by using perspective to create an optical illusion.  What a fun farewell project, and I look forward to beginning.  The piece shown at the top of this post is one I stitched several years back as an Advent banner for First Baptist Church in Amherst.  I will dust off my thinking cap and get started with my black and white Island Batik solids, saved especially for this project. (hmmm...and maybe a pop of red will be there, too!)




8 comments:

  1. Never too many batiks. our daughter has been here for 12 days helping with the wallpaper stripping and all else.She is going to venture into the DIY beeswax wraps, and I have a HUGE stash of batiks that are perfect for this, no fraying and finer fabric.So a pile is flying home with her on Tuesday.Your banner is so beautiful, and I know with that gorgeous red we will see another beauty appear. Times change through the year, and I am sure your Ambassador time has been busy but so adventurous, thought provoking and fulfilling in every way.As winter arrives for you, we are in summer mode, hot days and nights already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's on to a new adventure Karen. Doors open and close many times in our lives, and I believe there is something to be learned as we close one and open another. I'll be waiting for your finale in your role as an Island Batiks Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine how you have managed to keep for two years, as an ambassador. You have designed some gorgeous projects, and I have enjoyed watching you try new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved your church pieces. This one is particularly beautiful. I'm looking forward to what you get up to next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Island Batik will be at a loss once you're no longer with them. You've been a big time player & I haven't seen a project I haven't enjoyed. I hope you keep your blog going as it has fulfilled me in many ways.Have a wonderful holiday & the best for 2020! Sue Mac Donald (Moncton)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be sorely missed in the ambassador group! I love that wall hanging...and can't imagine what you are coming up with. Now for me...no idea yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wouldn't have been an easy decision, Karen......but we usually know what's right for us, and who knows what could be waiting around the corner? You Island Batik projects have been really imaginative, we have all loved seeing how you rose to the challenge each month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful piece. The colours are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete