Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 25 November 2014

Sew A Santa Sack

Have you looked at your calendar?  A month from today will be Christmas!!  I love doing fun, silly things to celebrate the holidays.
You may recall that last year I made 5 Christmas stockings for my university son and his room mates and had a great time stuffing them with goodies for them to enjoy during exam time.
The boys absolutely loved the stockings, and having their name free motion embroidered was a special treat.
This year that son is in a smaller apartment, with fewer roommates. I didn't want to repeat the stocking idea so decided instead to make Santa sacks. These bags are a good size - 12" x 16" -and made to last many Christmases. They are fully lined, and have an easy drawstring casing (no buttonholes to make!) I made three in an afternoon and liked them so much that I decided to write up a pattern. My good friend Cheryl, aka Grandma CoCo, worked her magic quickly in checking the instructions for clarity and errors.   If you'd like to make your own, you can download the pattern here.

I think these would be a fun idea for a grandparent who doesn't get to spend Christmas morning with their grandchild. They could place a special gift from Santa for the child, left under their tree. 


For sure I will be making one of these for my sister and brother-in-law for their new grand baby.
In a post soon I will share some of the things I put in these Santa sacks for the boys. (Hmmm...maybe I should have named them Mrs Santa sacks!)
EDIT:Not two hours after she downloaded the pattern, Jeanne Kay Speight has hers all made!!
It's fabulous, Jeanne Kaye...but I have to wonder...what's in your coffee?!?  Wow, you are fast! Thanks so much for sharing the picture.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing up the pattern. Since I have two grandsons I don't see as often as I'd like and since my youngest daughter lives in Dublin, I may just make a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is quick indeed! Such a great idea for a pattern, Karen......your son and his mates will love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, these Santa sacks are great!! Your son's roomies are going to want to "adopt" you.. I'm sure they appreciate all the special treats- in special sacks no less! I'm not at all surprised at Jeanne Kaye's speedy sack construction. I too wonder if she EVER sleeps??!!

    ReplyDelete