Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday 8 March 2019

Colorful Batik Panel Quilts


As many in this business do, I receive numerous requests to review books and products on my blog.  I always turn these down. However, when a query arrived about the above pictured book by Judith Vincentz Gula, I was intrigued, and said yes...for two reasons.  Over the past couple of years, I have been working almost exclusively with batiks, and am a huge fan of these beautiful hand dyed fabrics. I welcomed the opportunity to learn more.  The second reason is that I am familiar with the author's website and found it to be a wealth of interesting information.  I landed there first from a Google search on "batik tjaps", and have re-visited the site many times to view Judith's collection of antique and vintage copper tjaps.  

Colorful Batik Panel Quilts: 28 Quilting & Embellishing Inspirations from Around The World  by Fox Chapel Publishing, shows how to embellish Indonesian  hand-made batik panels, to turn these Fair-Trade fabrics into one-of-a-kind art pieces for your home.  These techniques would work with beautiful Island Batik fabrics as well as with the panels Judith shows. 

The book flows in a logical progression, from the starting point of explaining the batik process, to bordering and embellishing the panels, and ending with a gallery of 24 finished art quilts. Although the book is not large, there is a great deal of information packed into the 64 pages.  Clicking this link will allow you to see a few of the pages, which include simple patchwork instruction for 3 projects (such as how to create log cabin blocks) as well as a primer on hand embroidery stitches.  This is not an in-depth look at batiks by any means, but a good introduction to open one's mind to possibilities. The strength of the book lies in the profusion of pictures on every page, vibrantly printed on glossy stock.  I enjoyed seeing the beautiful pieces created from these fabric panels.




1 comment:

  1. Looks like an interesting book. Perhaps I will suggest it for my quilt group.

    ReplyDelete