Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday 19 July 2014

An Evening With Kaffe Fassett

Yesterday Amherst was treated to a very special occurrence - a visit from Kaffe Fassett!  Deanne Fitzpatrick deserves a lot of credit and thanks for enticing this renowned designer to visit our small town.
Amherst was hopping yesterday with many out of town fibre enthusiasts here for the big event.  Kaffe himself dropped in for a tour of Mrs. Pugsley's Emporium early in the afternoon.
The lecture was held in First Baptist Church.  There is a horseshoe balcony around the perimeter of this roomy sanctuary which allowed for overflow - and a terrific bird's eye view.  I confess someone saved prime seats for us in the second row (thanks Lou!)
Lights were out for the presentation and flash was not allowed so there are no good pictures to share.
(On a side note...that's one of my paraments on the pulpit peeking out from behind the screen :)
After both Kaffe and design partner Brandon Mably spoke, there was a book signing in the vestry.  I brought along two books to have autographed.  On the six degrees of separation theory... I actually have a quilt in the same book as one of Kaffe's so I was very keen to have that one signed.
The book is called America From The Heart and it features quilts made in response to the Sept 11 terrorist attacks.  The quilts were exhibited at IQF Houston and then auctioned as a fund raiser for the families affected.  Many doors opened for me professionally because of this exhibit and book.
AQS quilt appraiser Diane Shink happened to be at that exhibit in Houston in 2001 and contacted me after viewing my quilt.  We met up and eventually Diane and  I co-authored Canadian Heritage Quilting. It was no surprise to see Diane in attendance at the lecture yesterday;  always alert and taking notes to be used in her work, you can see that she has several papers tucked inside her copy of Kaffe's latest book. Diane doesn't miss anything connected to quilting!
Diane Shink, Brandon Mably, Kaffe Fassett
Thank you Deanne for making this huge event happen right here in our hometown.


6 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. Thanks for sharing these pics of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been fortunate enough to attend two of Kaffe's lectures and 2 of his workshops and have extremely fond memories of both. Glad you were able to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky were you, and to think that you even have the "brush with fame" connection of both having quilts in the same book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to go to one of his wonderful lectures here Karen. It was wonderful. I'm glad you got to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow!!! Amazing. I was busy on Friday evening, but holy cow, if it wasn't for my Grammie Camp, and if I had a known, I would have tried to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you've all been waiting with great anticipation for this night for a long time. Glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete