Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday 29 October 2018

Stitch Witchery

The witching hour is fast approaching, and this little stitchery is a fun and easy project you can whip up in no time!
Optical illusions fascinate me, and this super simple drawing trick is one we learned in elementary school.  I started out with plain white Kona cotton, and 12 weight Aurifil cotton thread. It stitches beautifully with a size 100/16 topstitch needle. Regular 50 weight cotton was used in the bobbin.
I began by tracing the outline of my left hand on the fabric with a removable marker.
 Then I added straight horizontal lines across the background. 
 The lines were stitched once, but I did a double pass on the hand to make it more distinct.
 Stitching slightly curved lines within the hand itself gives it a raised illusion.
Just to be a bit gruesome...I added a little stitching with red thread at the bottom of the wrist for effect.
 I think this would be a fun way to quilt a background in a Hallowe'en quilt!
You can watch a You Tube video here for inspiration on drawing the hand.  The 12 weight thread is available from my online store.  Happy Hallowe'en!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Karen, I love this, so much fun to be had. You are a HOOT!. Happy Hallowe'en haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to do the curved lines across your hand, it seems so real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. Kind of gruesome but cool.

    ReplyDelete