Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 5 May 2015

The Fun Begins

Yesterday, the dreaded task of basting the scrappy Dresden quilt was accomplished, so today is all about the quilting. Once the stitch in the ditch was finished, out came the free motion foot for some feathery fun. I chose 50 weight Aurifil Mako cotton, in colours to match the background and a size 80/12 topstitch needle.
I am not keen on marking;  I am more the "fools rush in, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" kind of quilter, but I did use a flexible ruler and Frixxion marker to rough out the spine. This allowed me to keep the curve consistent on each side of the centre.
 The feathers just naturally flow in to fill the space.
So far so good.  I haven't sorted out how to quilt the fan blades as yet, but hopefully inspiration will hit by the time I get the feathers stitched.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, look forward to seeing the completed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, look forward to seeing the completed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty! Do you always stitch-in-the-ditch first? I think I may have missed that before. I can see where the layers might just behave better that way. It's a beautiful feather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous.....so cheerful and bright for spring!

    ReplyDelete