The new Christmas design is zipping along like gangbusters. (What *is* a gangbuster?) I took the pieced top down to dayle's and tried it out on a bunch of different reds. Even though it's a bit fussier to work with a stripe in the border, this print from Benartex's Festive Holiday collection was perfect. I trimmed each strip so the gold will run up the centre of the outer border (that's what I meant by fussy...)
Then it was time to layer and baste the quilt. It is by far not my favourite thing, especially with two kitty helpers. They went outside for a run and the task was quickly completed. The next step was to decide what to quilt. There is sashing between each of the "presents" and I wanted it quilted down so the boxes would pop up. I also wanted something appropriate to the quilt, and "ribbon candy" seemed perfect. I had never quilted this shape before, but certainly am familiar with the treat from my childhood Christmases. Robertson's Candy, made in Truro, N.S., is a Maritime staple for Christmas treats: barley candy, humbugs, chicken bones, satin mix and ribbon candy. You can see that the shape of the ribbon is perfect for a long, narrow sashing.
I didn't do too badly, although a phone call broke my rhythm and for a bit my candy was more figure 8's than ribbon. (I probably wouldn't last a day at Robertson's...)
It certainly had the desired effect as the presents are popped up like pillows. I will add some detail to the red ribbon next and then on the border. Almost there!
Two testers have already reported in with positive results, so once I hear back from the others the pattern will be available for purchase.