Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 13 November 2012

An Escape In An Escape

Hubby (who drives an Escape) and I took off for a couple of days.  He called it a date;  I called it awesome.  Our final destination was Halifax but we took the long way there heading up along the shore road through Pictou and on to Antigonish.  We visited places where we used to live, and ventured into spots where we had never been.  One of these - Arisaig - I found particularly beautiful and hope to return soon. The goal of our trip was this:

Yup - we went to the opening of the new James Bond movie "Skyfall" at the iMax in Halifax!!!  (This is where the 'awesome' comes in). Loved it, loved it, loved it.
It was great to spend time in the city with no real agenda beyond the movie.  We got up early Saturday morning and attended the Seaport Farmer's Market at Pier 20.
What a busy spot this is.  We were surprised to see vendors from Cumberland County there as it's a long drive.  They told us they are up at 3 am and on the road before 5 to make it there in time.  I'm not sure how many times I could do that...
Our son had sent us with the directive to check out The Naked Pickle.  We were glad we did.  Owner Jim Dillman had a wonderful array of homemade pickles, jams, mustards and salsas.  We came home with several jars of salsa, including one aptly named Rocket Fuel.  Best salsa ever!
From here we moved on to the original Halifax Farmer's Market, located downtown in an old brewery on Water Street.
The boardwalk on the waterfront was deserted this early on a Saturday morning.  We enjoyed our stroll in peace.
Of course we stopped for a minute to greet Theodore.
Then it was back to Amherst with a stop in Truro before turning around and heading back to Antigonish.  We covered a lot of territory in a few days, all of it great fun. 

4 comments:

  1. What a fun getaway you had! That lavender would have made me stop, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day you had in Halifax. We want to see that new movie too. I wish we had IMAX here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to read of your trip, you followed the route that we took during a fantastic summer visit to your fantastic country. Driving arround it was as if someone had taken the map of Scotland and jumbled up the names which confused my, usually reliable, sense of direction. It underlined the historic links between us. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    Loved your trip and pictures down to and around halifax. I was there on a nursing course a couple of years ago and hit a lot of those same sights.
    I love your work and your inspirations.
    I can understand about the comment filter - I don't have one on mine and I have suddenly gotten a huge amount of spam comments. I find them hard to use on the iphone so must resort to leaving comments while on the real computer.
    Meanwhile - back to the blizzard and perhaps a few stitches in the attic tonight.
    Bernie
    Aberdeen (sask)
    B

    ReplyDelete