Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Minding my Own Beeswax...

...literally!
Today I am working on beeswax molds. Beeswax has a variety of uses, but for quilters the main two are in batiking fabrics and in preventing thread from knotting up when hand sewing. Just run the bar of wax along your thread and voila - no more tangles.These are the hexagonal molds I am using - 1 oz. and 1.5 oz. Hubby supplied me with that big hunk of beeswax you see on the right.
The wax may be melted in the microwave, or in a metal container in a pan of water. Each mold is left to sit for a couple of hours to cool before the wax is popped out.
Then they are individually packaged for sale.

4 comments:

  1. How fun....I want some. I bet our guild members would like some too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a comment, I thought, but it's not showing up. So if it shows up twice, I apologize--my mother had one of these beeswax things for her hand quilting, used it all the time. I think I still have it around here somewhere... The beeswax is also used for batik, it smells wonderful, and you're so lucky to have your own supply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in these Karen. Do you sell them?

    ReplyDelete