Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday 13 August 2009

The Doughnuts

Gram's Doughnuts
3 eggs
1-1/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 scant tsp. ginger
4 Tbsp. oil
4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1 cup sour milk
4 Cups flour

Beat eggs, add sugar while beating. Add nutmeg, salt, vanilla, ginger and oil.
Stir soda into the sour milk and add alternately with the flour. Mix only until blended. Cover and place in fridge overnight. Roll out to about 3/8" thickness, using just enough flour to prevent sticking. Cut with doughnut cutter.
Fry in vegetable shortening (such as Crisco) until golden. When you remove doughnuts from the oil, place them in a pan lined with paper towel to blot up excess oil. If sugaring, add some sugar to a paper bag and shake one doughnut at a time (kids love doing this!) Makes about 3 dozen large doughnuts.

(Normally, these turn out lovely and smooth skinned; I think mine were rough this time because they were made during a time of very high humidity. Because of that, I had to add a fair amount of flour so they wouldn't stick.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a nice recipe. Yes, I recall lots of people making donuts years ago. I've had my fair share of donuts in my life and my favorite ones are the ones with nutmeg. I have the hips to show for it too. I'm glad you posted your recipe. I might make these with my grandkids sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your recipe. My mother used to make doughnuts, but I don't know where her recipe is anymore.

    ReplyDelete